The Legend
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Legend

“The Legend,” is the main game of the forum, with a heavy plot and an original battle system. Not to worry though, there’s more to it than The Legend. This forum has much, much more. Come and join our community, become a Legend…

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Dojo

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Riaxh
Fighter
Fighter
Riaxh

The  Dojo  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dojo    The  Dojo  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Arkanid bridled slightly at being called "Boy". He felt his cheeks redden slightly with indignation, but he arranged his features into what he hoped was a mask of solemn composure. To refuse help when he might learn much by offending the man would be foolish.

"Yes. I would seek knowledge from you if you see fit to give it" he said bowing, unbending his pride.
Back to top Go down
Redifin
Admin
Admin
Redifin

PostSubject: Re: The Dojo    The  Dojo  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 6:36 pm

***GM action, Coinflip ((HEADS!)) You are Eligible to Train!

The Master stood, maybe this is the one he was looking for? He turned to face the man and said, "Come in, we shall see if you are up to the challenge."

***GM action, Coinflip ((HEADS!)) You are Eligible to Level up...now prove your worth. A minimum of a paragraph: Explain the change you experienced during training and your thoughts on the outcome. Then we will see if you Level up.
Back to top Go down
https://thelegendrp.forumotion.com
Riaxh
Fighter
Fighter
Riaxh

PostSubject: Re: The Dojo    The  Dojo  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Arkanid followed wordlessly. Intrigued and also vaguely excited. They entered a large wood-panneled room. It was mostly clear, though a few miscelanous objects were gathered clustered around the walls. They stood at the center of the room, opposite each other, and Arkanid felt himself being scrutinized.

After a while he frowned. "You are terribly out of shape."

"excuse me?"

The old man shifted a little. "I am not saying you are fat. Quite the contrary. But your body hangs languid and lacks discipline."

Here Arkanid allowed himself a broad smile. "Ah, but I am a magician." he said arrogantly. "I have chosen to dedicate myself to the discipline and pursuit of the mind rather than that of the body, I don`t have time to waste on such meaningless things." His smile broadened as he thought of all the clumsy warriors around the land, working day in and day out to swing their weapons when a far greater power resided untapped in their brainless heads. Fools.

"Mastery of the mind cannot be attained without mastery of the body." The old man said seriosuly. "And the same is true in reverse, for each is dependant on the other for its strength. Many have made your mistake, and that is why they train fruitlessly, then fade away, and come to nothing", the Master finished shortly. His words left no room for argument. Arkanid said nothing, but merely frowned.

"Here" he said, walking over to a rack on the edge of the room and collecting two staves, one of which he threw to Arkanid. "Let me show you." He caught it, raising a quizzacle eyebrow as he examined the length of wood. Really? we`re going to hit each other with sticks now? The Master raised a withered eyebrow in return, as if inviting him to protest, but Arkanid merely shrugged and assumed the ready stance he had learnt as a youngster.

The Old Man leapt at him with suprising agility for one of his age, and the Hall echoed with the ring of their staves as they struck each other time and time again. Arkanid was no stranger to fighting with the staff, and intially he sought to beat his Mentor, striking furiously with brute strength as he sought to bring the lecturing old man to the ground. Soon he was panting and sweating under his robes. It was the greatest physical exertion he had had in a long time. It was not long before something flashed in the corner of his eye and the world span around as the tip of the staff slammed into his shoulder, knocking him down.

"Again."

And so it was for a good few hours. The peal of wood on wood interupted only by the occasional clatter of Arkanid falling to the ground and the subsequent, commanding cry of "again". Each time Arkanid got back to his feet, covered in bruises and his face a snarl as his frustration grew at not being able to mark the old Sensei even once. I don't understand how this is supposed to help me become physicaly stronger in any decent period of time anyway. he thought savegly.

But the more and more he fought, the more he began to realise that that wasn't the point of the exercise. Slowly, he let his breathing deepen, and let his mind be clear of his frustrations, concentrating solely only on the rods in front of him and the movements of his body, to the the point where the state he entered almost became one of meditation, and he began to understand more of what the old man had meant. Suddenly, the rythem of wood beating wood was carrying on unbroken, seamless. Uninterupted by the clatter of a staff falling to the gound. The sun gradually continued to sink in the sky as they clashed, more a strange dance than a fight as they span around each other, sometimes close, sometimes far apart as they guided each other through the various strikes and forms.

At last, when only a sliver of the golden sunset shone through the clear windows of the hall, throwing the room in brilliant twilight, the Master called a halt to the proceedings, and stood opposite a sweat-clad, but strangely peaceful Arkanid once more in the hall.

"Well? What have you learned?" He asked slowly, his face half bathed in shadows.
Back to top Go down
Redifin
Admin
Admin
Redifin

PostSubject: Re: The Dojo    The  Dojo  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 8:32 pm

***GM Action Coinflip---

Arkanid had learned much and more from his new mentor. He's learned discipline, fluidity, and a sense of calm.

Although through all he has endured, he has learned something different than he first thought. The land between strength (leveling up) is vast, wide, and extremely complicated. It cannot be done in just one day.

((It was TAILS!Mad ))

Although he has not gained his strength, The Master invites Arkanid back tomorrow to train once more with him for one more chance. This is an exception he rarely does, but he is greatly impressed with the boy.((1 coin flip instead of 3)).
Back to top Go down
Riaxh
Fighter
Fighter
Riaxh

PostSubject: Re: The Dojo    The  Dojo  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:42 pm

(OOC: Sorry if it gets a little weird towards the end. I was on a roll, then I had a break and came back to it and didn't have a clue what I was doing.)

Arkanid struggled with himself. The feeling was there, but he couldn't quite grasp the meaning, the understanding, of what he had experienced. He pondered for a while longer, but no epiphany came, though the Master did not seem disappointed. And to his surprise invited him to train the next day. He went home sore and weary after that, and though his mind buzzed, sleep came to him instantly.

The next day made his way over to the dojo as early as he could whilst still appearing polite. He was half afraid he would find the old man sleeping, but when he drew back the door he found him there waiting for him, cross-legged on the floor, preparing tea.

"You have returned." he said, the china clinking gently as he stirred his drink. Arkanid said nothing. It had not been a question.

"This is good. I had hoped that you would." To Arkanid's surprise, the man downed the boiling liquid in one go. "Follow me" he said, completely calm, rising from the floor and leading him through to the other room.

"What will we be doing?"

"Why, the same thing that we did yesterday."

The room was exactly the same as he remembered it, but with two noticeable differences. The rack with the staves was missing, and there was now a small pile of rocks, each slightly smaller than his fist, resting in the centre of the room. It was this pile that the master strode over to.

Arkanid hesitated, examining the Master suspiciously, unsure what he was playing at.

"This isn't what we did yesterday."

The old man smiled. "Isn't it? Now get over here, and hold out your arms."

Arkanid slowly made it way over to the pile. "I don't understand." he said haltingly. "Why not just carry on with th-"

"Because you didn't understand what I was trying to teach you then. And you won't even if I kept you at it for another thousand years." he said, frowning now. "So instead we try a different way. Now get over here, and hold out your arms!" Arkanid detected an edge of impatience creeping into the old timer's voice now, so he did as he was bidden, and lifted his arms. The old man bent down and retrieved two of the blocks, before placing them firmly into Arkanid's outstretched palms. By examining them and others in the pile he was able to realise that the rocks weren’t natural. Though some were smooth and even and others were knobbly or twisted in strange shapes, they were all definitely made to an intended form.

"You got these?"

"Yes."

"Good. Now stand on one leg."

Arkanid's eyebrows shot up, and he examined the old man closely again. This time sure that he was being made fun off. Part of him thought this was such a ridiculous request it wanted him to drop the stones and walk out, but the Master's expression was completely serious. I wonder if this is some kind of test...? He slowly lifted his right leg. The Master reached down and plucked another stone from the pile, which he placed purposefully on Arkanid's now outstretched ankle.

After that, the purpose of the exercise quickly became apparent. The Master kept extracting stones from the pile and adding them in different places, forcing him into awkward positions to keep both him and the stones balanced, such as with one leg stuck backwards parallel to the other with his back arching forwards with one arm twisted across his spine as he attempted to balance stones scattered across his legs and back, as well as his elbows and the nape of his neck. It wasn't long before his muscles began to twitch and his tendons started to ache as the Master circled him with a critical eye, occasionally moving in every minute or so to add a rock or to move one to a different place so that he could alter to a different position. He was soon forced into twisting and contorting into shapes he had never believed possible.

Occasionally the stony silence that had developed between them would be shattered by the falling of one or more rocks as his burning muscles quivered or he lost his balance. But not matter how long it took to get all the rocks back in position again, or for him to find his equilibrium, the Master persisted. "Discipline." he would hiss. "Discipline is the key. Your muscles will cease to shiver like frightened rabbits if you but exercise your will."

All throughout the challenge, Arkanid experienced an impending sense of frustration that threatened to overwhelm him at any minute. His arms felt like they were made of lead. Sweat poured down his brow and into his eyes, stinging him. What on earth does this have to do with what we were doing yesterday? he thought. But he refused to yield, for he was determined to see through whatever the old man had set for him.

Eventually he ceased thinking, for he could not allow himself that luxury. His entire being became focused on feeling and controlling the movement of his body. Sheer determination held him upright. He was not aware of time, nor of the old man passing before his bleary eyes. His whole world became his muscles and sensitivity to the weights and pressure being applied to them.

"Excellent..... We've finished". Said a voice in the distance. Arkanid heard him but dimly, and struggled to returned attention to his surroundings once more, feeling slightly groggy like he was awakening from a deep sleep. As he did so, he carefully turned his eyes in their sockets to peer at the rock pile, and was shocked to see that there was no pile. For a second he didn't understand, then he realised that every single one of the stones he had seen at the beginning of the day was now stacked perilously on top and around him in a complex structure that spanned across his entire body. The moment his concentration slipped the whole thing titled and was sent crashing to the floor, taking Arkanid with it.

The Master chuckled as he peered down at him, and then posed the same question he had the night before, and in such a similar tone, that for a moment the weary Arkanid wondered briefly if all the time in-between had ever happened at all, or had just been some kind of dream.

"Well. What have you learned?"
Back to top Go down
Redifin
Admin
Admin
Redifin

PostSubject: Re: The Dojo    The  Dojo  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:52 pm

((Riaxh...you are an amazing writer. Whatever this coin does, I want you to write a response please.))

Arkanid had learned discipline. Not only must you have strategy, not only must you have patience, not only must you be calm, but you must have discipline to hold it all together. Discipline is glue, without it your whole world comes crashing down. Which Arkanid found out first hand.

The land we call strength (leveling up) is as vast as ever, but Arkanid can't help but feel he had explored some part of the land. He felt some understanding, and was eager to learn more.

(Big moment)***GM Action COINFLIP- ((HEADS!!! YES)) You have leveled up!

You receive no gold, but you gain 10 points in HP or MP...it is your choice, choose wisely.

((Riaxh, when I saw the coin was heads I freaked out, almost fell out of my chair. Please give us a response to this IC.))
Back to top Go down
Riaxh
Fighter
Fighter
Riaxh

PostSubject: Re: The Dojo    The  Dojo  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 6:26 pm

(YESSSSSS)

Arkanid lay back on the floor, eyes closed, in a small puddle that consisted of his own sweat. Utterly spent. But as he did so, his mind wandered back over his experiences of the past two days. The sense of inner peace that had permeated the duel with the staves, and the intensity of the trial by stone. Then he recalled the words of the Old Man the previous evening, and a small smile of contentment spread across the his face as he recognised what the teacher had been trying to explain. I think.... I understand. (+10 MP) It was a concept that went slightly beyond simple synergy of the body and mind, an approach he would have considered strange before, and he appreciated now how it was something you had to feel for yourself, and couldn't be explained with just words.

He slowly opened his eyes, and found that the Master was watching him with interest. He shakily got to his feet.

"Thank you". He said simply. Unable to think of any other way to convey his gratitude. The Old Master nodded his head slowly, solemn and serious.

"A wise man once said that true focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity....You have done well. Good luck on your travels, boy. And take this Memory with you."

With that farewell, Arkanid bowed and left the dojo, pausing as he was embraced by the chilly night air. He savoured its gentle, cooling caress on his skin and the way it cleared and refreshed his lungs as he breathed as deeply and thoroughly as he could. He found he felt strangely hopeful. Like despite all the years of his study and training, this was the first real step forward he had ever made, the first proper progress on his road to greatness. He felt that if there was one thing that the Old Man's teachings had made clear to him, it was that the way onward from here was only going to get harder.

And oddly enough, he found that he didn't mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dojo    The  Dojo  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Dojo
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Legend :: Explore :: Training Academy-
Jump to: